RESEARCH FIELDTechnology › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/06/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Leuven
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK38
The European Horizon 2020 project Si-DRIVE (Silicon Alloying Anodes for High Energy Density Batteries comprising Lithium Rich Cathodes and Safe Ionic Liquid based Electrolytes for Enhanced High VoltagE Performance) will develop innovative battery technologies for electric vehicles. Within Si-DRIVE KU Leuven will develop and evaluate the end-of-life treatment and the related economic and environmental performances of these new battery technologies.
In the framework of the Si-DRIVE project You will be responsible for conceiving intelligent re- and demanufacturing systems that enable fully automated dismantling of electrical vehicle battery assemblies. A major challenge concerns the handling the large variation of products and their conditions at End of Life. You will therefore develop innovative multi-sensor and computer vision solutions to detect and recognize product features and the condition of components in order to determine and execute autonomously the optimal dismantling strategy. In addition, you explore opportunities to increase the robustness of these automated re- and demanufacturing processes by integrating self-learning abilities based on process and human feedback.
Based on the learnings of practical experiment you will also formulate recommendations to improve and better align the product design and the reuse, repair remanufacturing and recycling of the electrical vehicle batteries. Throughout the project,conceptual approaches will be combined with experimental validation of innovative automated processes on a lab scale.
- You are part of a multidisciplinary research group working on the topic of Life Cycle Engineering under the supervision of Prof. Jef Peeters and Prof. Wim Dewulf.
- You independently follow-up literature, patents, company releases, conferences, etc. and use the obtained information to set up experiments.
- You are responsible for the development and evaluation of innovative algorithms and contribute to organizing and performing validation experiments.
- You contribute to the guiding of Master students with their thesis work.
You report to your supervisors and to industrial and academic partners during project meetings and at international conferences.
- We offer a varied and challenging job in close cooperation with industry combined with an attractive salary package.
- We offer a research position in a stimulating and multi-disciplinary environment and a strong industrial network.
- We provide the opportunity to work towards obtaining a PhD degree within an international network.
- You combine a Master’s in Science, Engineering, or equivalent with a solid background in Artificial Intelligence and/or automation.
- You have a profound interest in sustainability and circular economy, hence are willing to broaden your field of expertise in related assessment techniques, such as life cycle costing and environmental footprinting.
- You like to work in a multidisciplinary team of international researchers and show willingness to learn/explore innovative technologies and techniques.
- You have a creative mind set, take initiative, and are not afraid to address innovative ideas and new opportunities.
- You are fluent in English or willing to improve your language skills.
You can apply for this job no later than 30/06/2020 via the online application tool
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 508603
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.